The strength of the GPPA concept is that its members represent the interests of all stakeholders in the pipe value creation chain. This is a unique organisational approach.
To accomplish its mission, GPPA members will be engaged in operational committees to develop strategies for:
- Knowledge sharing and training
- Standardisation and certification
- Promotion, health, safety and environment
In the United Arab Emirates progress has been made in developing a high quality pipe industry and Abu Dhabi, as the capital of the UAE, also has a strong education foundation that complements the mission of the GPPA.
GPPA employees will manage education, training and testing at facilities to be constructed in Abu Dhabi, close to the Petroleum Institute, an engineering school active in research related to oil and gas.
The planned GPPA buildings will house an exhibition area, lecture hall, training rooms, a laboratory for physical and chemical testing, an outside pipe installation area, storage warehouse and offices.
For knowledge sharing and training, GPPA employees will:
- Establish and maintain information flow to members
- Alert members to ecological issues and propose work group initiatives
- Solicit and coordinate member requirements for special studies
- Arrange and run training courses for pipe designers, contractors and installers.
This will also give opportunities for members to assist and contribute with their expertise in these activities.
For standardisation and certification, GPPA employees will:
- Alert and motivate members to develop regional standards
- Promote and encourage compliance with existing certification schemes
- Facilitate the development of certification schemes for plastics pipe and fittings producers, installers and pipe users
To promote plastics pipe systems GPPA employees will:
- Organise local seminars and conferences and encourage members to make presentations
- Cooperate with other pipe associations internationally promoting networking with GPPA members
- Update the GPPA website and distribute reports
Aside from the operational tasks, GPPA employees develop the organisation for the benefits of its members.